Sunday, January 31, 2010

Katie's Crazy Quilt


Honorable Mention ~ 2016 Leawood Arti Gras Exhibition

~ My maternal grandmother, Catherine Anastasia Flynn Begley, fashioned this lovely Crazy Quilt.  The powder blue ceramic vase was probably a wedding present to her when she married my grandfather, John J. Begley on Oct. 31, 1900 in Potter, KS (just outside Atchison, KS).  She lived with my family and always had the vase filled with fragrant peonies…these were grown by my husband Joe.  Besides sewing beautiful quilts and embroidery pieces "Katie" also did gorgeous pencil drawings.  I was thrilled to discover several expertly drawn works she completed in 1898, at age 17, tucked behind a group of elegantly scripted essays in her school workbook.  This still-life watercolor was a challenge in "textures" and is my attempt to honor my love for her and the very important part she played in my life, a grateful tribute to the artistic talents she passed on to me, my children and other family members.

Medium - watercolor, iridescent watercolor medium, gold acrylic, gel pen

Original Painting (30x22)  framed (38"x30") - Priceless :-)
Giclee Prints - 8x10 $45,  16x20 $100,  22x30 $200
Notecards - 4/$12 pkg.
(plus shipping)

1 comment: